Sunday, January 15, 2006

Snap Music=Crap Music


Now I've sat back this week and I've found several different blogs that have questioned the validity of "Snap Music" as a music form. As well call into question the southern rap scene as a whole. Its frustrating on several levels because majority of the people who criticize southern rap music are from up north. Everyone knows New Yorkers tend to be the most narcisisstic bunch of people on the face of the planet.

Here's a sample of some of the hate I've read lately

"I’ve had it up to here with you dumbasses sabotaging our musical legacy in the name of ass shaking"

"Everything about this music sucks, the lyrics, the beats, the incessant
finger snapping, even the guys look like losers." (ouch)


Now I have a problem especially with that last statement.... Are you implying that cats from New York don't look like losers as well???

Case in Point
If that doesn't look like a loser than what do you call that??












Or I've even heard people say that cats from the south look ignorant because we like to sport gold and platinum grills, that we are dumbing down hip-hop, and basically putting on a minstrel show.... May I Present to You...
Up North Niggas
Down South Niggas
Now tell me what the fuck is the damn difference??
Your Honor, the Defense Rests...
To be honest with you, as a born and raised Atlantan who happens to be a lover of hip hop, alot of people fail to realize is that majority of the local music( and when I refer to local I'm not talking about your Outkast, T.I. Ludacris, major label niggas) from the A that blows up is made strictly for people who like that kind of music. D4L’s intent for making Laffy taffy was to provide a soundtrack for the dance that is so popular and for ghetto ass clubs like the Poole Palace, Prime TIme, Chocolate. etc... It just so happened that their particular songs blew up and went nationwide.. Most of the local artists here are concerned with getting a little love from the radio and the streets. So the fact that the song is the number one downloaded song in the country is even more astonishing. I know its frustrating that N.Y. is not ruiling hip hop and arguably hasn’t since B.I.G died…
If you don’t like the music coming from the south don’t listen to it and please don't buy it. Cause either way some white kid in Davenport, Iowa is buying the album for you and trying to lean wit it and rock it in a very off beat fashion.
PEACE!!!

6 Say Something:

I'll be dambed if you didnt hit the nail on the head. You'd think that these hiphop elitist would have learned a lesson about trying to validate music art forms and trying to find some type of conformity in rap music. After all it wasnt that long ago that all rap was being questiong as a valid music because it stole a majority of its beats from existing songs. And that was something that it had to overcome. And now its turned in on itself. When will the stupidity stop. We all just wanna dance or bob our heads to some hot shit every now and then. And we should hate if we find different ways to accomplish that goal.

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:37 AM  

I just had this conversation over on Rell's blog. (http://rellavent.blogspot.com/2006/01/todays-sign-of-apocalypse-and-lost.html) Forgot how to link....

Anyway, I love snap music. There is nothing wrong with shakin your ass on occasion. It's fun. Although I'm an advocate of clever lyrical content in hip hop, I do realize that it all can't be the same. Boom Boom Tap..... Thanks for stopping by my spot.

By Blogger MIZPOWDERPINK, at 6:17 PM  

REAL MUSIC are people like Mary J. Blige---the Queen of this shiiiit....then on to Maxwell, but dang there aren't many for real singers out....SNAP MUSIC IM SICK OF and everything sounds oh so the same...Da Franchize Boys, D4l, Lil Jon, and others are killing music

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

What up Zeezy, I appreciate you comming through checkin' a Nigga out. I'm a start comming through to see how you do it in tha ATL. Your comment on my site was tha business, you see you never know how good your shit is until you have haters. Please come back an read some more about my fictional character, I may even come out to tha ATL and steal some of your fictional bitches.

By Blogger Tha BossMack TopSoil, at 10:14 AM  

I agree. There are various types of music, which appeal to different people and I'm keep leaning and rocking with it. I love the A and the music it has to share.

By Blogger Lady D, at 8:52 AM  

My problem with this type of crap is that it ends up being all i hear on the radio. I want to turn on the radio and hear music i like, not have to go underground and be unable to discuss new cds with my friends.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

Say Something

links to this post